Getting Started with CCAP in Denver County- A Quick Tip Tutorial for Child Care Providers

by Cami Harris, Communications & Marketing Manager, Denver’s Early Childhood Council


Perhaps you’ve been approached by a parent asking if your program or home-based child care accepts CCAP. You’ve heard of CCAP (or CCCAP, the Colorado Child Care Assistance Program), and you know it is a subsidy that helps low income parents pay for child care. You want to help this family but maybe you aren’t quite sure where to begin.

Like many aspects of running your child care business, there is a process involved. In partnership with Denver County Human Services, we’d like to share some easy tips to help you get started with CCAP and ensure smooth sailing!

1. Already licensed? Make sure your rating and licensing information are up to date on Colorado Shines. Go to to update your profile.

Tip: When filling out your profile in Colorado Shines, select the “yes” option for CCAP, even if you have not started taking it yet.

2. Not licensed but providing child care for family, friends or neighbors? You can accept CCAP but you must   obtain a background check for yourself and any adult 18+ residing in your household. Go to the Colorado Office of Early Childhood website for more information about background checks:

3. Request a CCAP Fiscal Agreement. Email the Provider Payment Services Team (PPST) at Denver Human Services: Once the request has been received, a PPST Technician will reach out to get you the necessary documents to establish the agreement.

Tip: Provide the following information in your email

  1. Your name
  2. Your provider ID#
  3. Your email address
  4. Your phone number
  5. The date of your request

Did you know?

The Colorado State Legislature passed House Bill 14-1317 in 2014. With the passing of this bill, some notable improvements for both providers and families took place.

Here are just a few highlights:

  • Provider reimbursement rates went up 5.55% at the beginning of 2015 in Denver County
  • Sites with higher ratings in Colorado Shines receive higher reimbursement rates
  • Parents have more choice and flexibility in scheduling the hours during which they need care
  • Providers can expect most child care authorizations to be set for 12 months

By participating in CCAP you join hundreds of child care providers across Colorado in supporting a two-generation approach to family success! By ensuring access to high quality care and early learning for children while their parents pursue work or secondary education opportunities, you provide a vital service to the community.

Denver’s Early Childhood Council works in partnership with Denver County Human Services to ensure access to high quality child care for all children in Denver.

Editor’s note: This post has been updated to reflect information current as of April 2019.

Back to Our Blog